by Erika Stowe, Reporter
Spring break is approaching, students need a break from midterms, and funds are short: here are 5 ways students on a budget can have fun.
Spend Time Outside: Warm weather is a great time for outside activities with family, friends or pets.
- Water Fun– Travel local dollar stores have water guns or water balloons for all ages. Careful not to get rough if there are little ones though.
- Backyard Camping- Have you ever tried backyard camping? All you would need is a small tent and bedding. Don’t forget the marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers. It’s not camping if there are no s’mores.
Find a New Hobby: Cooking is a great hobby and way to be social and learn new recipes.
- Cooking- Invite friends over and make it a night in instead of eating out. Think about it, it saves you money and you might actually find it fun.
- Crochet/Knitting- Crochet and knitting is a relaxing hobby one can pick up by watching a friend, YouTube videos or learning from a website. It’s also a great way to donate items made for charity or gifts for friends.
DIY Spa Day- Pamper yourself with a spa day. There are plenty of ideas on the internet that you can easily DIY with. Here are some DIY recipes:
- Hair Mask– 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil and 2 tablespoons of honey. If you are Take the coconut oil and warm it up for about 20 seconds, so that it liquifies. Be careful not to burn yourself. Then, mix the honey in and apply to hair. Rinse off after 20 minutes.
- Body Scrub- Ingredients: Honey, Olive Oil, Fresh Coffee Grounds. Mix all the ingredients together making a paste and scrub. Do not to scrub too harshly because it can irritate the skin, and do not use on the face. Coffee grounds can be too harsh for the face.
Board Game Night: Invite friends to bring snacks over for a night of quality board game rivalry. If all fails, Cards Against Humanities does have a free version on their website that you can print and cut out to play. The goal is to spend quality time with friends or family.
Binge on Netflix: Munching on snacks and binge watching worthy shows for spring break is the way to go. Whether you like drama or comedy, here is a list options for you.
- “Atypical” TV-MA-“Atypical” is a Netflix Original. It takes you through the perspective of a young man, Sam Gardner, with Autism. You see the toll it takes on the family, and the struggle Sam Gardner faces in trying to understand a world that seems strange to him.
- “Jane the Virgin” TV-14-“Jane the Virgin” is a CW original series. The show does a great job of mixing the Mexican Telenovela genre with modern comedy. It takes you through Jane Villanueva’s journey of self-discovery.
- “Dirty Money” TV-14- “Dirty Money” is a documentary series. The Netflix Original is an investigation of big corporation and their greed. It is only 6 episodes long, but it has a powerful message.
- “The IT Crowd” TV-MA- “The IT Crowd” is a British sitcom. Episodes last about 25 minutes, and it is a different type of comedy. Most of the episodes take place in a basement where they keep the technical support employees, but don’t let that throw you off. You will be laughing the whole time.