By Ana Acosta, Managing Editor
As we come to the end of the disaster that was Hurricane Harvey, we can’t help but come together to support our loved ones, our neighbors, and even strangers. Would you like to come together by helping the city of Houston get back on its feet? Well, here are 5 ways to help after Harvey:
- Donate- Food and water are the supplies needed the most during times like these. Whether you buy the food to donate or have extra in your kitchen pantry, go ahead and donate them to the shelters around the city. The Houston Food Bank is one of the many charities open for donations of food, water, toiletries, paper goods, etc. Check it out.
- Help the Infants– Organizations like Texas Diaper Bank are thinking about parents who are in need of diapers, wet wipes, and clothing for their infants. If you have any of these items at your disposal, consider donating them.
- Volunteer– Not only are these charities in need of donations , but they are also in need of volunteers. If you want to help and don’t have a way to donate items go ahead and donate your time to volunteer. Places like the George R. Brown Convention Center, NRG Center and the Toyota Center would be glad to see more helping hands. All you have to do is register.
- Money– Probably the best thing you can do to help is to make a donation of money designated to a disaster relief. One that comes right from the heart of Houston is the JJ Watt foundation, which has raised over $10 million in the past week. As little as $5 can help. It will make a difference. Trust me.
- Spread the love- Whether you are able to leave your home and help Houstonians or not, do not forget to spread the most meaningful action of all: love and kindness. Be considerate of the ones who were affected the most and support them through this journey. If anything, this is what will keep us strong and united as we recover from Harvey.
Let the world see how Houston can unite no matter the occasion. We shall come together with a head held high. Don’t lose hope, Houston. Let’s help make a difference.